AJAR.id – Hello Ajarian! First aid is any care given to an injured or ill person (called a 'casualty') before professional medical assistance (ambulance, paramedics, nurse, or doctor) arrives on the scene to take control of the situation. When administering first aid your first concern must be to make sure you do not become a casualty of the situation.
This means you must assess the situation you are facing and take time to identify the physical hazards that may be present to your own safety and that of others who may be present.
First aid can include the provision of:
- Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation – if the casualty is not breathing.
- Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) – where there is no breathing and no pulse.
- Control of bleeding – to limit blood loss.
- Wound care – to limit blood loss and infection by covering wounds.
- Treatment for burns and scalds – including treatment for electric shock.
- Bandaging and splinting – to fractures and sprains.
When providing first aid, there are few important points that must always be taken into account:
- Protect yourself and others at all times against injury or harm – persons delivering first aid should not become casualties....